How to Make Cannabis Greek Yogurt From Scratch in Your Own Kitchen
Upon seeing how many steps are involved in the cannabis Greek yogurt recipe, do not fear! It is actually much easier than it looks and the hardest part is waiting patiently for it to be done. In fact, once you have made a batch of this incredible infusion, you will want to make it again and again. As an added bonus, fruit bottom cannabis Greek yogurt makes a great gift at Christmas time and birthdays. It looks especially great if you dress it up with fancy jars and custom labels.
Eating Cannabis Yogurt
Eating cannabis yogurt provides many health benefits. Yogurt is rich in nutrients and high in protein. Probiotics in yogurt can also help aid in digestion. A strong immune system and reduced inflammation are reported in people who regularly consume yogurt. Infusing cannabis into yogurt takes it to a whole new level. With high THC strains of cannabis, you can create an amazing psychedelic experience.
What You Will Need To Make Cannabis Greek Yogurt
Items you will need to make Cannabis Greek Yogurt:
- homo milk (3.25% MF) or goat’s milk
- yogurt starter culture*
- double boiler*
- yogurt maker*
- food thermometer*
- decarboxylated cannabis
Making Cannabis Infused Yogurt
It is important to decarboxylate cannabis before using in edibles. Please visit the links to Decarboxylation and Dosing Edibles for more information. Although the recipe below uses 2 to 3 grams, you can use more or less, depending on the desired potency. When breaking up the cannabis into small pieces, you want to make sure that the particles do not pass through the strainer. This will prevent the cannabis yogurt from having a gritty texture.
Using full fat milk will result in a firmer, creamier Greek cannabis yogurt. Therefore, low fat or skim milk is not recommended. Goat’s milk can be used with great success as well. Some people find that goat’s milk has a strong taste, but if you don’t mind the taste, use it. Goat’s milk does not go through the homogenization process that cow’s milk goes through. For this reason, some people claim that it is easier on their digestive system.
There are many different kinds of yogurt starter with different blends of active cultures. Each different culture may have unique culturing times. You must read the package recommendations and set your machine accordingly.
It is important not to overheat the culture or the bacteria will not survive. After you preheat your milk, you need to let the temperature come down to about 110° F before mixing the culture in.
Strained cannabis yogurt is higher than regular yogurt in protein, fat and calories. To start, your cannabis yogurt must be completely chilled before beginning the straining process. Ultimately, the longer you strain the yogurt, the thicker it gets.
After straining your cannabis yogurt for 24 hours, you will notice a yellowish liquid resembling lemonade in the bowl under the strainer. This is the whey. Do not discard this liquid. Whey can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 months. Substitute it for milk in recipes like pancakes and biscuits for a subtle sourdough taste. Although it tastes slightly like cannabis, there are no psychedelic effects from consuming the whey in small quantities. Cannabinoids are fat soluble and end up in the creamy cannabis yogurt portion.
Fruit Bottom for Yogurt
To compliment your slightly tart and creamy cannabis yogurt, add a layer of sweet, velvety fruit bursting with flavour. This delicious layer also can add an additional dose of vitamins by using real fruit. Conversely, you could layer it with prepackaged jam or chocolate sauce.
Things You Will Need to Make Fruit Bottom For Cannabis Yogurt
Items you will need to make fruit reduction for cannabis yogurt:
- fresh or frozen fruit
- vanilla extract
- lemon juice
- frying pan
Making Fruit Bottom
Basically, you are making a simple fruit reduction by cooking down all the ingredients until they become thickened. You can use more or less sugar, depending on how much of a sweet tooth you have.
Consuming Cannabis Greek Yogurt
Now that your cannabis yogurt is done and waiting in the fridge to be consumed, go ahead and eat it. But, please be careful to consume responsibly. Cannabis edibles can take up to 2 hours to feel the effects, so it is important not to consume too much at once. You can’t reverse the effects of getting too high, you can only wait it out.
Take care and enjoy!
- 4 cups Milk Use goat’s milk or homogenized 3.25% MF
- 1 package Yogurt Starter
- 3-5 grams Decarboxylated cannabis Small nugs
- 4 cups Fresh or Frozen Berries
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Break decarbed cannabis into small pieces but DO NOT GRIND.
- Prepare double boiler by adding the appropriate amount of water. Add 4 cups of milk and decarbed cannabis. Heat on medium until temperature reaches 175 – 180° F, stirring frequently. Turn heat to low and maintain this temperature for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove double boiler from heat and place in a sink with a few inches of cold water. Stir frequently until temperature lowers to 108 – 112° F.
- Strain the mixture into the incubation container of the yogurt maker. Squish all of the liquid out of the cannabis by pressing the cannabis against the strainer with the back of a spoon.
- Place a few tablespoon of the milk into a small container. Stir in one package of yogurt starter. Whisk this mixture into the the milk. Make sure the yogurt starter is thoroughly mixed in.
- With the lid on the yogurt incubation container, place into the yogurt maker. Set the timer according to the package instructions from the yogurt starter- usually 4 to 6 hours.
- After the culturing period, the the yogurt must be sufficiently cooled by refrigerating for up to 6 hours.
- To begin the straining process, place cheesecloth inside of a strainer and place over top of a bowl that holds the strainer suspended off the bottom a few inches. Pour chilled yogurt into the cheesecloth/strainer and place in fridge for 24 hours to separate the whey.
- Place strained cannabis yogurt into container on top of fruit bottom. Store in fridge for up to one week.
- Place whey into container and store in fridge for up to 3 months.
- In a nonstick frying pan, mix fruit, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice. Cook on medium heat until mixture becomes thick and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Cover the bottom of 5 containers with the mixture while it is still warm and workable. Cool, then place in refrigerator to chill thoroughly.
- Top with yogurt.
What Type of Milk to UseFull fat milk makes creamier, thicker yogurt. Goat’s milk is traditionally used for making Greek yogurt and has excellent results. Additionally, people that are sensitive to cow’s milk may have an easier time digesting goat’s milk.
Creamy VariationYou can substitute a portion of the milk used in the recipe for cream. Depending on how rich you like it, you could use 1 cup of whipping cream and 3 cups of homogenized.
Learn how to make Cannabis Sticky Buns.
Share recipes on Pinlicious.com.